If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Stainmore Railway Company (kirkby stephen east)

Discussion in 'Heritage railways & Centres in the Uk' started by Luke McMahon, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yep sorry about that!

Slender are doing the repairs, though I'm sure NRM shildon do a bit of work too.

2. Allegheny

Allegheny New Member

Streetview pic of the missing river bridge
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.5...n_klLsBVhPp3b45nZgJA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
    Nice spot though!

3. class8mikado

class8mikado Well-Known Member

Print Estimator/ Font of all knowledge (useful, or
    Nice little challenge for the royal engineers...

black5 likes this.
  4. JFlambo

JFlambo New Member

I recall reading that the railway had been donated a bridge from somewhere in Scotland?

I believe it was from someone who attended the Stainmore 150 celebrations and had been chatting to volunteers there. Hopefully it was true!

5. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon New Member

Allegheny - It'd be a truly excellent achievement if the stainmore railway at kirkby stephen east & eden valley at warcop could eventually reconnect & open the eden valley route again. The stainmore group apparently have plans to start extending their running line in the future, however 1st & foremost is the need for a shed & to build up the yard trackwork/infrastructure to enable them to have some undercover sheltered accommodation from the ahem rather inclement cumbrian weather:p:D

The eden valley railway - Well if the s people, (yes unfortunately folks i'm talking about SUSTRANS:mad::D) ever stop arsing about & agree to allow the railway to extend & build their cycleway alongside then appleby just might be a possibility. The railway do apparently have plans to extend into appleby as it's a fairly large market town & would give them a good destination, however sustrans do supposedly own that portion of the trackbed & thus far haven't been very cooperative.